Looking at the society - English Portfolio

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Graded article 1 (Societal): Who will be S'pore's Leonardo Da Lin Chee?

While browsing through the net today, I came across an article which seems remotely interesting, but holds quite a lot of sense to me. Here is the link:

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/columnists/story/0,4136,112781,00.html

*Reflection starts*

I agree with the author's opinion that we should be more open-minded and come to accept whatwhat we excel in, rather than frantically trying to fabricate what the other countries excel in.

While the author just suggests at the opportunity for Singapore to turn our advertisments into something worthy and appreciate what we do, the author is actually trying to open the audience's minds to new art forms and allow them to accept these new ideas. The author is trying to shift the reader's mindsets on art from traditional paintings to new ideas like advertistments. And I do agree that the times have changed; we should come to appreciate what comes to us as new art, AND that we should have our appreciation of art.

Why are we trying so hard to establish ourselves to be masters of painting and sculpting like other countries, when we do have our advertisments to be proud of?

Why do we shut our minds on art to be of traditional protraits, when in this age, we have access to new technology, and new art like advertisments?

In my opinion, the art scene in Singapore is slowly changing. Like the author said, Singaporean mindset on the opinion of art has shifted from the traditional paintings like 'paintings of rambutan and songs of the Singapore River' Right now, while we are a country with almost no history or culture, it is time to appreciate what we normally do, to appreciate what we consider as beautiful...

Painting and sculping came from technology. Can't new technology like advertisments develop into art?

While I now appreciate new art forms like advertisments, we should not forget old art works like famous sculptures. Old paintings still protray the old heritage that our ancestors once appreciated, and thus should still be retained and preserved as a different art form. I mean, different art pieces and pieces from different eras have their own story to tell, and their own purpose for existence. They are beautiful in different ways.

Now, I am taking on the perspective of one of the proposition for this idea. However, my viewpoint is limited as I cannot appreciate why the opposition will not accept advertisments as a new art form. While I do appreciate the idea, I think that by accepting advertisments to be art, we are moving towards an age where anything can be art, as beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. However, this will bring about the problem that there will be no defining features of art, and art may gradually lose its originality and definition. This idea can only work if we impose a defining line between art and everything else.

After reading this article, I feel that I am rather ignorant of the art scene in Singapore. While I do appreciate new art forms for their unique beauty, there is still much I have to think about and know, for me to truly put myself in other's shoes. (495 words)

*end reflection*

That's it for now. I will be sure to post in the near future... once I manage to acquire time.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home